Following the Wars of Religion, the castle was almost completely destroyed in 1621 and was not re-built until 1874. In 1919, the castle, along with part of the vineyards, was purchased by Louis Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle, who was instrumental in building the reputation of Sancerre wines.
Still owned today by the Société des Produits Marnier-Lapostolle, producers of Grand Marnier, it is here that the exclusive, estate-bottled Sancerre wine is made and matured, the only wine which can be sold under the exclusive name: Château de Sancerre.
The vineyards of Château de Sancerre cover approximately 64 acres with an annual production of between 150,000 and 200,00 bottles exclusively of white Sancerre wine from the Sauvignon Blanc grape. Most of the vines, with an average age of 23 years, are located on the famed south-eastern slopes of the Sancerre Hills.
The soil is composed of 80% limestone and clay-limestone, and 20% flint. The remarkable nature of the ground produces a structured full-bodied wine, which retains its body well and has the delightfully subtle bouquet and aromas which is characteristic only of a true Sauvignon Blanc.
The Chateau de Sancerre stands in the heart of the Sancerre vineyards. In 1874, the castle was rebuilt on its old site in the style of Louis XII. In 1919 it was purchased, along with part of the vineyards, by Louis Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle. It was he who restored the vaults and the spiral staircase which flanked the "Feudal Tower" - the only remaining vestige of the medieval castle. He also set up a private museum in Sancerre and was instrumental in building the reputation of Sancerre wines.
Today The Chateau de Sancerre is still owned by the Société des Produits Marnier-Lapostolle, also producers of Grand Marnier liqueurs and owners of the Chateau de Bourg Charente. It is here, in the heart of its historic birthplace, that an exclusive estate-bottled Sancerre wine is made and matured - the only wine which can be sold under the exclusive name Chateau de Sancerre.