The Domaine Saint George vineyards date back to 1928, when Giovanni Cambiaso found an ideal tract of land in Sonoma County above the Russian River and planted a vineyard. Since then the soils and microclimates of Sonoma County have been discovered to offer ideal growing conditions for premium wine grapesThe Cambiaso Winery, founded in 1934, was renamed the Domaine Saint George Winery in 1986 following the introduction and extraordinary popularity of that brand. The vineyards were replanted in 1995 to select clones of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. In outstanding vintages, an estate-bottled Cabernet Sauvignon is produced from the "home" vineyard, a wine that typically sells out upon release. The 1994 vintage of this STG Russian River Valley Cabernet Sauvignon was named "The Best Red Wine of the Year" by the noted syndicated wine writer Jerry D. Mead. The vineyards at Domaine Saint George have a history which parallels that of Sonoma County as a source of world-class varietal wines.