Chateau Durfort-Vivens 2018
Blend: 69% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot and 1% Cabernet Franc
Critical AcclaimAll Vintages
Wonderful aromas of crushed berries, spices, dried flowers and grape puree. It’s full-bodied with a tight, rich palate with purity and honesty to the fruit. Wholesome and real. From biodynamically grown grapes with Demeter certification. Try after 2025.
I loved this en primeur and love it now, in its concentration and depth but also its ability to rise towards the finish and keep a sense of personality, with responsively silky tannins that allow the berry fruits to move through them unrestricted. I truly recommend this wine; hard to get hold of but worth it. 100% fermented in amphorae, with 70% of the wine moved into new oak barrels after malolactic fermentation for ageing, the other 30% staying in the amphorae. Just get a kiss of oak, nothing too much. Drinking Window 2026 - 2042
Silky, seductive and polished are the words that characterize the best wines from Margaux, the most inland appellation of the Médoc on the Left Bank of Bordeaux.
Margaux’s gravel soils are the thinnest of the Médoc, making them most penetrable by vine roots—some reaching down over 23 feet for water. The best sites are said to be on gentle outcrops, or croupes, where more gravel facilitates good drainage.
The Left Bank of Bordeaux subscribes to an arguably outdated method of classification but it is nonetheless important in regards to history of the area. In 1855 the finest chateaux were deemed on the basis of reputation and trading price—at that time. In 1855, Chateau Margaux achieved first growth status, yet it has been Chateau Palmer (officially third growth from the 1855 classification) that has consistently outperformed others throughout the 20th century.
Chateau Margaux in top vintages is capable of producing red Cabernet Sauvignon based wines described as pure, intense, spell-binding, refined and profound with flavors and aromas of black currant, violets, roses, orange peel, black tea and incense.
Other top producers worthy of noting include Chateau Rauzan-Ségla, Lascombes, Brane-Cantenac, and d’Issan, among others.
The best wines of Margaux combine a deep ruby color with a polished structure, concentration and an unrivaled elegance.
One of the world’s most classic and popular styles of red wine, Bordeaux-inspired blends have spread from their homeland in France to nearly every corner of the New World. Typically based on either Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot and supported by Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot, the best of these are densely hued, fragrant, full of fruit and boast a structure that begs for cellar time. Somm Secret—Blends from Bordeaux are generally earthier compared to those from the New World, which tend to be fruit-dominant.