Ch. Reynella Cabernet Sauvignon 1994
The Reynell name goes back to the very beginning of the wine industry in South Australia, when John Reynell planted some of the first vines in the infant colony in the area which was later to bear his name. This pioneer of the grape was born in 1809 of a Devonshire farming family.
Shortly after his arrival in 1838 John Reynell established his property, situated 20 kilometres south of Adelaide and 5 kilometres east of St. Vincent's Gulf - the gateway to the McLaren Vale wine region.
The Reynell family were actually the first to grow grapes commercially for winemaking in South Australia. Their first vintage was in 1842.
Tragically, the heirs to the Reynell business were killed in World War 2 and in 1953 the Reynell family relinquished its controlling interest in the company and Colin Haselgrove, the winemaker, was appointed managing director.
In 1970 Walter Reynell and Sons Limited was sold to Hungerford Hill Limited. In 1972 Hungerford Hill sold a half share of its wine interest to Rothmans of Pall Mall.
Towards the end of 1976 Rothmans took complete control of the company after the joint venture was dissolved.
In 1982 however, the old established SA family winemakers, Thomas Hardy and Sons Pty Limited bought Walter Reynell and Sons from Rothmans, with the aim of making the Reynella premises the corporate headquarters for their group of companies.