Camigliano Brunello di Montalcino 1998
Camigliano in the past was certainly inhabited by the Etruscans who followed the course of the Ombrone River from the coastal Maremma area. It then became quite an important hamlet in the late medieval period, an outpost for Montalcino, joining in the fight to defend republican freedom in the middle of the 16th century.
The current manor house was built inside the entry gate (called “Borgone”) of the old “castle” making the most of the ancient walls that surrounded the homestead. The symbol of Camigliano: the camel, found on a seal dating to the 13th century, can perhaps be connected to the influence of the papacy in the area, and there is speculation of connection to the movements of the Crusades that reached the Holy Land.
The winery, which was purchased by Walter Ghezzi in 1957, a courageous and enterprising businessman from Milan with a passion for Tuscany, has undergone an intense and radical improvement in recent years with arrival of son Gualtiero: the new vineyards have been brought to their full potential (today 530ha of which 93 are cultivated with vines) at an altitude of 300-350masl, the new underground cellar was built, and the vinification practices and unconditional care for the territory, in which he has invested energy and enthusiasm, have been renewed.
The vineyards, organic, have been chosen through a careful analysis of the terrain and clonal selection by agronomic experts coming from different Italian universities.