The vineyards of the historic Lewelling estate were established in 1864 near the western foothills in St. Helena by pioneer winegrower and horticulturalist John Lewelling. Janice Lewelling Wight, John Lewelling's great-granddaughter, and her husband Russ built a home on the family property in 1950 and quickly became involved in operating and replanting the vineyard. Today their three sons, Alan, Doug and Dave, farm a 28-acre vineyard on a portion of the original estate, one of the oldest continuously-owned and farmed family vineyards in the Napa Valley.
Over the years Lewelling Vineyards consistently harvested exceptional Cabernet Sauvignon grapes that were sold to many fine Napa Valley wineries. In 1992 the Wight Family began production of their own vineyard-designated wine.