In the heart of the Sauternes country, Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey has a striking appearance, rising out of this gently rolling countryside. The walls surrounding it give it a Hispano-Byzantine look. Its XIIIth century gateway and castle towers, along with the main building rebuilt in the XVIIth century, are tangible proof of its age. Mr Lafaurie purchased it during the Revolution, in 1794, and his outstanding knowledge of things of the earth brought the vineyard immediate renown, which was carried on by Mr D. Cordier who became owner in 1917. It is rightly described as having the extravagance of perfection.