Historically, Weingut Stadt Krems arose from two sources. The first source is the property of the Bürgerspitalstiftung - In 1210, Duke Leopold IV of Babenberg founded a public hospital in Krems and left important legacies to it, including vineyards. The second source was the generous bequest of the imperial Burggrave of Krems, Ulrich von Dachsberg, who presented the town with vineyards in 1452.
With over 550 years of history, Weingut Stadt Krems is one of the oldest wine-producers in Austria, and even in the whole of Europe. Until 1744, the Town Hall in the historical centre of the city, which is over a thousand years old, accommodated the press house and the maturing cellar. They were then relocated to the cellar in the "Corporis Christi Brotherhood". In 1915, the city acquired a wine cellar in the town moat. The estate wines of the city have been pressed there ever since. No wines or grapes have ever been bought from outside vineyards. View all Stadt Krems Wines