Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon 2011
Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley, California
- Ships Tue, Sep 2Ships Tue, Sep 2
Free Shipping for 30 days
Ships Tue, Sep 2
Wine Style Guide
Red wines that are more fruit-forward and lighter in tannin and body.
Medium bodied reds that go down easy, with smooth tannins and supple fruit.
Wines where earthy and/or spicy dominate the flavors – typically medium to full body.
Full bodied wines that have concentrated fruit and are higher in alcohol and/or tannins. Some need age.
Alcohol By Volume: 14.6%
Alcohol By Volume Guide
Most wine ranges from 10-16% alcohol by volume. Some varietals tend to have higher (for example Zinfandel and Cabernet Sauvignon) or lower alcohol levels (Pinot Noir and many white varietals), but there is always some variation from producer to producer. Some wine falls outside of this range, for instance Port weighs in closer to 20%, while Muscat and Riesling are usually a bit below 10%.
"The 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon opens with highly expressive, spiced Cabernet Franc-inflected aromas. Espresso, rosemary, lavender, violets and spices all take shape in the glass. The 2011 is a surprisingly dense, powerful Screaming Eagle with less of the pure seduction of some previous years and more intensity, especially in the tannins. Savory herbs, blackberries, menthol, appear later, adding complexity and pedigree. Cool, graphite-infused veins of minerality provide the backbone for layers of dark, brooding fruit. I don't expect the 2011 to offer its finest drinking before age ten, and even that will likely prove an overly optimistic assessment. In 2011, the blend is 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, the remaining 25% split evenly between Merlot and Cabernet Franc.
Range: 95-97 Points"
Vinous / Antonio Galloni
"right medium ruby, a bit less saturated than the 2010. Precise, cool aromas of blackberry, violet, minerals and spearmint. Not quite the depth of the 2010 but offers superb intensity and cut to its very primary, fine-grained dark berry, floral and mint flavors. Still quite youthfully taut and firmly tannic on the aftertaste, in need of further elevage to flesh out. This was racked following the malolactic fermentation but not since then, with the result that it's very imploded today. But wonderfully elegant and intense, and a big success for the vintage."
International Wine Cellar
"Made from a blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest equal parts Merlot and Cabernet Franc, the 2011 Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon is a sexy, upfront, precociously styled wine exhibiting a dense ruby/purple color as well as lots of licorice, camphor, black currant jam, new oak and spice box characteristics. Dense, rich and impressive, the early drinking charm of the 2011 vintage gives it immediate appeal.
Range: 91-94 Points"
The Wine Advocate
- 4/13/2014 (210 items) (viewed 191 times)
- 8/8/2014 (31 items) (viewed 22 times)
- 3/12/2014 (2 items) (viewed 22 times)
Learn About Screaming Eagle
Screaming Eagle is one of Napa Valley's smallest wineries. The little stone winery is perched on a rocky hillside in the Oakville Appellation overlooking the vineyard planted in Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc. The wine is aged in 65% new French oak barrels for almost two years. Annual production is approximately 500 cases with most wine sold directly to consumers via a mailing list. The winery's first release was approximately 200 cases of the 1992 vintage.
Learn About Napa Valley
It's hard not to think of Napa Valley when thinking of California wines. The region is, after all, the one that brought world recognition to California wine making. The area was settled by a few choice wine families in the 1960's who bet that the wines of the area would grow and flourish. They were right. The Napa wine industry really took off in the 1980's, when vineyard...
Read More About Napa Valley
Learn About Cabernet Sauvignon
(cab-uhr-NAY sow-veeh-yawn) King of Red Many refer to Cabernet Sauvignon as the king of red grapes. Perhaps that title is due to its ability to grow worldwide in a number of climates, or to the fact that it produces wine with such character yet such diversity. Either way, this grape is responsible, as a whole or a partner, for some of the greatest wines in the world. In Bordeaux,...
Read More About Cabernet Sauvignon