The Bodegas Bemvinas winery was founded in 1904 as a modest family enterprise by Don Juan Megia Sanchez. The Spanish Civil War changed the family's fortune when the winery was confiscated by the Republican in 1936 and not returned to the Megia family until 1940--without the wine. The family started over, selling whole vintages in barrels. By the 1970s, the winery passed to the last living Megia, who sold it in the 1980s to the current owner, Don Doroteo Navarro Donado.
Don Doroteo immediately brought about a total re-vitalization and modernization of the property, which he renamed Bodegas Navarro Lopez.
A strict quality policy, moving from barrels to bottles, emphasizing single-vineyard and mono-varietal wines carrying the D.O. Valdepenas, as well as investments in state-of-the art winery equipment and technology, have been the keys to the success of Navarro Lopez as a rising star in the production of high-quality wines, in a region that is starting to be recognized as an important wine regions in Spain.
In the early 1990s, Don Doroteo bought two other wineries in the area, Bodegas Canadas and the Bodegas Nieto. The Estate consists today of 150 hectares, mostly planted to Tempranillo, Garnacha and Macabeo grapes, with over 8 million liters produced.