The Seven Mules Vineyard is located on the former site of the old Baldocci Winery. It has since passed hands over the decades until Lee and Carolyn Martinelli purchased it in 1997. The ancient barn still stands on the estate and once housed seven mules which were used to cultivate the property in the early 1900's. The vineyard site is a series of beautiful rolling knolls which offer a brilliant mountain view of distant erupting geysers to the north. The foggy mornings of the Russian River Valley lend wonderful fruit characteristics to this Burgundian varietal. This petite vineyard is densely planted with 2,000 vines per acre. The two select clones, '114' and '115', are grafted onto the '101-14' rootstock. The vines are trained on a vertical trellis system with the fruit hanging just 24 inches above the ground. The grapes are thinned down to between two and three pounds of fruit per vine. These practices all insure mature fruit flavors in the wine as well as even ripening.