The origin of the name "Aloxe-Corton" indicates how old this village of 200 inhabitants is. "Aloxe" is derived from "Alussa," meaning "the country of Alus," a Gallo-Roman deity. The name "Corton" is less certain: some speculate that it is taken from the Latin "cortis," a rural residence; or that the village was names for Curtis d'Othon, a Roman emperor and close ally of Nero. Vines have been planted in Aloxe since at least 775, when Charlemagne bequeathed his vines to the Abbey of Saulieu in recompense for the pillage of their monastery at the hands of the Saracens. The commune only added the name of its famous Corton vineyard to its own in 1862, becoming Aloxe-Corton.
The grand cru vineyard of Les Pougets is comprised of two parcels covering 24 acres on the upper- and mid- slope directly adjacent to the Le Charlemagne climat. It is among the five vineyards of the commune in which the variegated soils, alternating between chalk and iron-rich marl, produce both Corton-Pougets and Corton- Charlemagne. Domaine des Héritiers Louis Jadot is proprietor of a superb, due southerly-exposed parcel of 3.71 acres purchased in 1914. This exceptional site yields a wine of sumptuous brilliance and complexity, powerfully structured and richly fruited. The aromatic Pinot Noir bouquet and deep, layered berry and oak flavors culminate in a seductive, persistent finish.