Originally there were four pioneers : J.H. (Joseph) Knappstein, a merchant, Dr O. Wein-Smith, a medical practitioner of Clare, Magnus Badger, a solicitor, and John Cristion, who was a brewer of note. Alfred Basedow was employed as a General Manager and Winemaker, having learned the craft of winemaking in Europe. The name Stanley was chosen to identify the company with the local electoral district of Stanley. By 1912, Joseph Knappstein, one of the most enterprising men of his time in South Australia, had bought out the interests of the other three founders and gained control of the company.
The Leasingham winery was acquired by The Hardy Wine Company in January 1988, when a major upgrade of vineyards, winery, tourism and promotional facilities was begun. Subsequently that year the Clarevale Co-operative was integrated giving access to further premium fruit. Today the name Leasingham is reserved for premium wines only. The Stanley name continues on a range of wine casks produced at the Buronga winery