The land on which Langmeil Winery now stands was purchased by a 36 year old German blacksmith, Christian Auricht. He and his family arrived in South Australia in 1838 after emigrating from eastern-central Europe (Silesia) to escape religious persecution.
Christian planted his first acre of vines on the estate. The variety was Shiraz and the vines are still producing fruit today. Auricht's old vineyard is the source of Langmeil Winery's single vineyard Shiraz. This rare wine commemorates the pioneering spirit of the first settlers and, because of their willingness to endure so much hardship for the right to keep their faith, it has been named The Freedom 1843 Shiraz. The vineyard is believed to be one of the oldest known surviving Shiraz vineyards in the world (pictured here).
The property was purchased in 1996 by three local mates whose families have lived in the Barossa Valley for several generations: Richard Lindner, Carl Lindner and Chris Bitter. They restored the remaining old buildings and the village well and beautified the gardens. As a tribute to the early pioneers, the new owners refurbished the old winery and named it Langmeil, after the original village.
Langmeil's award winning premium range is internationally recognized and has contributed towards the winery being regarded as one of the top premium wine producers in Australia