Two separate blocks, both in Atlas Peak Vineyards. Harvested September 19th 2007. Located in the coolest growing region of Napa Valley, the two blocks combine several variations of Chardonnay: 60% Hermann Wiemer selection (originally from Upstate New York), the other 40%, a blend of Clones 4, 15, Dijon 76 and Dijon 96. Each type of Chardonnay vine adds its own unique flavors to the finished wine.
Whole-cluster pressed, then cold settled and inoculated with the classic Montrachet yeast. The juice was immediately transferred to barrels (70% French and American oak and 30% small Stainless) for cool barrel fermentation. The wine was leftsur liefor five months of barrel aging, with bi-weeklybattonage, or lees stirring. The wine is entirely non-malolactic, to retain all of the natural fruit acidity.The wine was gently transferred from barrels without the use of a pump, then cold-filtered and bottled in March of 2008.
The 2007 Chardonnay displays sweet floral aromas (pear blossoms, apricot, jasmine) and sweet apple cider aromas abound. On the palate, the texture is rich, soft, and fully ripe. Soft yeasty notes and sweet fruit flavors fill the mouth with a finish of lush tropical fruit and just a touch of lemon zest.