Michael Weis, winemaker at Groth Vineyards & Winery since 1994, brings more than three decades of experience with Oakville grapes and wines to the job of nurturing the best possible expression of the vineyards.
Groth Vineyards & Winery Founded 1981 • In 1981, the Dennis and Judith purchased a 121 acre parcel in the heart of the Oakville appellation with the vision of making world class Cabernet Sauvignon.
• In 1982, they added a second vineyard of 44 acres located south of Yountville focused on Merlot and Chardonnay.
• Groth Vineyards & Winery’s first crush was in 1982.
• In 1985 the winery deserved, and needed full-time attention from Dennis and Judith. They moved their family to the Oakville property.
• The 1985 Groth Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon received the first 100 point score from Robert Parker.
• In 1990 the winery building was completed.
• Since 1982 Groth Vineyards & Winery has established its reputation as an outstanding producer of Napa Valley Wines. View all Groth Vineyards & Winery Wines
About Napa ValleyView a map of Napa Valley wineries
It's hard not to think of Napa Valley when thinking of California wines. The region is, after all, the one that brought world recognition to California wine making. The area was settled by a few choice wine families in the 1960's who bet that the wines of the area would grow and flourish. They were right. The Napa wine industry really took off in the 1980's, when vineyard lands were scooped up and vines were planted throughout the county. A number of wineries emerged, from large conglomerates to small boutiques to cult classics. Cabernet Sauvignon is definitely the grape of choice here, with many winemakers also focusing on Bordeaux Blends. Whites are usually Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.