About Ehlers Estate:
In 1886, Bernard Ehlers completed planting the vineyards and constructed the stone winery building, which remains today as the focal point of the Estate. When Ehlers passed away in 1901, he left the Estate to his wife Anna, who maintained the property for the next 15 years. In 1923, local resident Alfred Domingos purchased the land from Anna Ehlers. Since home winemaking was legal, Domingos and his brother "bootlegged" wine and brandy to a growing stream of Bay Area visitors. In fact, so many tourists came to Napa Valley to obtain illegal alcohol that the Carquinez Bridge was erected to facilitate transportation.
The early 1970s brought a revived interest in California wines, and the Estate became home to a number of small new wineries including Conn Creek Winery, Saintsbury, and Stratford Winery. In 1982, Parisians Jean and Sylviane Leducq established the Prince Michel Vineyards and Winery in Virginia. Their goal was to marry their Gallic passion for fine wine and food with American history. Under the direction of French enologist Jacques Boissenot, in 1987, the Leducqs purchased 7 acres of vineyard that were part of the original land tract belonging to W.W. Lyman.
In May 2001, the original stone winery and estate home built by Bernard Ehlers was purchased, thus reuniting the Estate. The stewardship of Ehlers Estate is now in the hands of the Leducq Foundation.