The town of Sancerre has a long and eventful history. As far back as the 10th century AD the Count of Champagne chose this strategic position to build a fortified castle which would command the Loire Valley.
Following the Wars of Religion, the castle was almost completely destroyed in 1621 and was not re-built until 1874. In 1919, the castle, along with part of the vineyards, was purchased by Louis Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle, who was instrumental in building the reputation of Sancerre wines.
Still owned today by the Société des Produits Marnier-Lapostolle, producers of Grand Marnier, it is here that the exclusive, estate-bottled Sancerre wine is made and matured, the only wine which can be sold under the exclusive name: Château de Sancerre.
The vineyards of Château de Sancerre cover approximately 64 acres with an annual production of between 150,000 and 200,00 bottles exclusively of white Sancerre wine from the Sauvignon Blanc grape. Most of the vines, with an average age of 23 years, are located on the famed south-eastern slopes of the Sancerre Hills.
The soil is composed of 80% limestone and clay-limestone, and 20% flint. The remarkable nature of the ground produces a structured full-bodied wine, which retains its body well and has the delightfully subtle bouquet and aromas which is characteristic only of a true Sauvignon Blanc.