The Rothschild family acquired Château Duhart-Milon, a "Quatrièmes Cru" in the 1855 classification, from the Castejas of Pauillac, in 1962. The property was named after the Sieur of Duhart, gun-runner to Louis XIV, who originally owned the property, and from the name of the little hamlet of Milon which separates the Duhart-Milon vineyard from that of Château Lafite.
Moulin de Duhart, Château Duhart-Milon's second
wine, is selected from vats of the "Grand Vin". In general, the grapes are from the youngest part of the vineyard. Moulin de Duhart has
several characteristics similar to the fine wine, but with a lesser potential for ageing as its ageing in barrels is much shorter. It must be consumed younger than its more robust counterpart. The vineyard covers 50 hectares and is planted with the classical cépages of Médoc: Cabernet Sauvignon (60%), Cabernet Franc (20%),
Merlot (20%) and a small amount of "Petit Verdot". This cépage has always been traditionally planted at Duhart-Milon and a certain excess of it in the pre-war vintages might explain their slightly flinty hardiness.
The Moulin de Duhart 1999 has a pleasant suppleness that was noticeable at a young age. It is a long and balanced wine, with subtle tannins and a ruby color. It has an expressive fruity aroma, both in taste and smell.