Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey is a vineyard estate located in the heart of the Sauternes region on high ground near the village of Bommes.
The merits of its white dessert wines have been well known since the 1855 classification in which it ranked among the Sauternes Premier Crus. But the origins of Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey are really much older than that. Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey’s oldest stones, cut from quarries in neighbouring Ciron, date from the 13th century.
The first known owner was Sieur Raymond Peyraguey, who settled in Bommes in 1618. He was referred to as a "rural bourgeois" by the historian Coudroy de Lille who considered him to be among those who tried their luck in the 17th century in "the great adventure" with wines that, even if they weren’t dessert wines, had at least to taste sweet, all around the property was land belonging to other "wine adventurers" like Peyraguey but also to noble families, financiers, magistrates, lawyers and rich bourgeois, all of whom contributed to the creation and then the boom in the wines of Sauternes.
From 1998 to 2004, an ambitious renovation program led to the restoration of the entire installation, cellars and château. The technical buildings were entirely updated to conform to new regulatory and environmental requirements. Now that the wine storage facilities are entirely climate and humidity controlled, the maturing of this Grand Vin takes place under optimal conditions.
The château has been restored to its former glory and is now in the finest condition for receiving wine lovers in the greatest comfort