The history of Yquem (like its wine) keeps a mystery even today. If the vineyard has been existing for a long time, the present castle is rather quite recent (the oldest parts date from the 15th century). In 1993, four hundred years old were celebrated at Château Yquem. It was on the 8th of December 1593 when Jacques de Sauvage acquired in tenure simple by an agreement of exchange of estates "la maison appelée Yquem...", a Crown's property at that time.
In the genealogy of Lur Saluces, there are three branches to be considered : the "Lur", the "Saluces", the "Sauvage". The archives of the Domain allow us to get back in the family's history until 990.
The "Lur" originate from Franconie (Fruin de Lur lived in Limousin in 990, while the "Saluces" branch comes from the Marquisate of Saluzzo in the Piedmont).
Under Louis XVI, in 1785 exactly, the domain of Yquem came into the Lur-Saluces family by the marriage of Françoise Joséphine de Sauvage, the "Lady of Yquem", with Louis Amédée de Lur Saluces, colonel of Penthièvre dragons (who was a godson of Louis XV and Lady Victoire de France).