About Chateau Maucaillou:
The cellars and warehouces of Moulis were built in 1871 in the heart of the Upper Médoc, next to the Moulis railway station. At the time, the owners were the Petit-Laroche family, 19th-century wine merchants, whose head office was located 104 cours Saint-Louis in Bordeaux.
The family chose the location near the station because horse-drawn carriages had only a short distance to cover to load their wines on trains travelling to destinations throughout Europe. As Messrs Petit Laroche put it at the time: "The purpose of the Entrepôts de Moulis Company is to market, both in Bordeaux and abroad, Médoc wines stored in cellars built by the company opposite Moulis station, a central location between Margaux, Pauillac, Saint-Julien and Saint-Estèphe."
Given the organoleptic qualities of Château Maucaillou, many wine writers have compared it with the Grand Cru Classé wines of the Médoc: "This growth has constantly enhanced its quality and is today undeniably at the level of a (good) cru classé" (Didier TERS).