About Chateau La Commanderie:
La Commanderie was built in the 12th century by Guillaume de
Plaigne, a Cathar Lord, who took an active role in the Battle of
Avignonet and afterwards joined the besieged stonghold
at the famous siege of Montsegur.
In the 16th century, Barthelemy de Plaigne extended
the chateau by creating the Salle des Chevaliers. His daughter,
Anne de Plaigne, who married the Count de Pibrac in 1642,
sold Plaigne to François-Paul de Béon-Massès-Cazaux, head of
the order of St Jonh in Toulouse, who, in 1685, established
this domain as a Commanderie of the Knights of Malta.
It remained in their ownership until the French Revolution.
In the 19th century, the chateau belonged to Mr de Nicol,
who modernized the building, and it remained in this
family for a century, the last descent being Vilolette de Ferluc.
La Commanderie was bought in 1973 by
Marie-France Gregory, mother of the present owner;
it has been completely restored
and furnished in period style by this family of
artists and art lovers.