About Chateau Figeac:
In Roman times, the estate belonged to a family called Figeacus, whose main villa stood on the site of the present château. Traces of the original pipework remain. The Roman remains are currently being studied using infrared photography. The name of the estate and that of the town of Figeac (in the Lot) would appear to have the same origin. The town of Figeac grew up close to the river Lot. There are still a number of small doors and windows from the Middle Ages in the right wing of the château, dating from around 1000. It was early in the 18th century that winegrowing really began at Figeac, under the aegis of the Marquis de Carle. His son, Elie, known as "The Knight of the Vines", became one of the pioneers of the winegrowing revolution in the Libourne area, on which the great prestige of the vineyards of St. Emilion is founded. He aimed the grands vins of Figeac at a select clientele living mainly in northern France. Exemplary care was taken with this thriving vineyard; the wines proved very successful and were very expensive.