Blanco Nieva Verdejo 2009
Other White Blends from Rueda, Spain
Great nose of grass, flowers, and tropical fruit. Dominant passion fruit flavor on the palate, along with peach and citrus. Really nice minerality, with a little acidity.
Wine Enthusiast - "Grassy aromas along with capsicum, nettle and green fruit aromas are pungent and exciting. The palate is spritzy and lively, while the flavor profile balances sweet, candied green fruit flavors with more driving, intense tastes of lime and green melon. Forward, fun and elevated; drink now for ultimate freshness."
Blanco Nieva Winery
Bodegas Vinedos de Nieva is located in the western-most portion of Rueda in the small town of Nieva. Established in 1989, the bodega helped to restore what was once a thriving industry during previous centuries in Nieva. For hundreds of years, the town?s vineyards and winemaking were controlled by the Jeronimo Monks and later, after their departure from the area, by the town?s people. By 1989 the vineyards were in disarray and it took Jose Maria Herrero and his family a great deal of effort to salvage some of the older vineyards.
The strength of Bodegas Vinedos de Nieva lies in their vineyards. The Herrero Family currently owns 55 hectares planted with Verdejo vines and 5 hectares of Sauvignon Blanc. Some of the vines are approximately 150 years old. All of the grapes used to make the Blanco Nieva wines are estate grown. In fact, the bodega uses only their top 35% in terms of quality of their grape production to make their own wines. They sell the remaining 65% to other local bodegas. View all Blanco Nieva Wines
About RuedaView a map of Rueda wineries (rue-AY-duh)
Notable FactsThe white wines of Rueda can be single varietal Verdejo, or they can be blended with other white grapes, such as Viura (the primary white grape of Rioja) or Sauvignon Blanc. Either way, the wines are light and fruity, refreshing and dry. The area also makes red wine and there are still fortified wines to be found.
The most popular red varieties of Spain include Tempranillo and Garnacha (Grenache). Whites don't garner quite as much recognition, but there are some regional varieties not to be missed, like Albarino and Verdejo. The popular red regions of Spain include Rioja, known for its outstanding wines of the Tempranillo grape; Ribera del Duero, producing high quality reds from Tempranillo and Garnacha; Galacia, with the sub-region of Rias Baixas, home to the deliciously crisp and floral Albarino grape; and Priorat, a region increasing in popularity with its high-quality cult reds. Other regions of note are Rueda, growing the Verdejo grape, La Mancha, a wide desert region, covered in the most planted white variety in the world, Airen, and Jumilla, making wines based on Monastrell (Mourvedre).
Spain's wine laws are based on the Denominacion de Origen (DO) classification system, devised in the 1930's. A four tiered system, the most basic level is Vina de Mesa (table wine) followed by Vino de la Tierra (country wine), DO and at the top DOC. Currently, only Rioja and Priorat have DOC status, while over 65 DO's scatter the country.
Most DO regions are classified and regulated by how long they age the wines. On a red wine label, one may find the terms Crianza, Reserva or Gran Reserva, denoting the wine's barrel and bottle time. Crianza is usually two years between barrel and bottle (the time in each depends on the DO and/or the winemaker), Reserva up to 4 years and Gran Reserva 5 – 6 years. Classifications of each region and wine are controlled by the region's Consejo Regulador.
Customer ReviewsSign In to Add Your Review0 }div>
Alcohol By Volume GuideMost wine ranges from 10-16% alcohol by volume. Some varietals tend to have higher (for example Zinfandel and Cabernet Sauvignon) or lower alcohol levels (Pinot Noir and many white varietals), but there is always some variation from producer to producer. Some wine falls outside of this range, for instance Port weighs in closer to 20%, while Muscat and Riesling are usually a bit below 10%.
Wine Style Guide
Light & Crisp
- Light to medium bodied wines that are high in acid and light to medium fruit. Typically no oak.
Fruity & Smooth
- Light to medium bodied wines with lots of juicy fruit, typically medium acid and medium oak.
Rich & Creamy
- Full bodied wines that have typically undergone malo-lactic fermentation and/or spent time in oak.