About BV Century Cellars:
Beaulieu Vineyard was named by Fernande de Latour, the wife of BV founder Georges de Latour. Georges purchased the property in 1900 and surprised Fernande by bringing her to the spot that would eventually be the birthplace of one of California's premiere wineries. One look and Fernande was in heaven - she exclaimed "Beaulieu!" which means "beautiful place" in French. That is how BV or Beaulieu Vineyard got its name.
Fernande's famous hospitality and Georges de Latour's entrepreneurial spirit are how the BV winery gained its reputation. Fernande would be sure that if she hosted anyone in her home, she would always greet the guest with a glass of wine at the door. Georges, on the other hand, was out and about town and was quickly becoming a highly respected figure in the California wine industry. In 1902, the opportunity to purchase more property was presented to him by his neighbor and he bought and planted 127 acres, conveniently located right next to his home.
By 1911, Georges was already garnering attention for his work. This is a quote from the St. Helena Star in May 1911, "When it comes to quality, California is greatly indebted to Mr. G. de Latour, of Rutherford, who for some years has imported hundreds of thousands of the choicest French grafted wines, which have been planted in all the important vineyards in the state."