This fruit forward, less tannic and earlier maturing Tempranillo was delicious at bottling. The fruit sources include predominately our estate's Fault Line Vineyards (85%) with the remaining 15% coming from McCorquodale and Delfino Vineyards. The beautiful aromatics, focused fruit flavors and lingering finish will continue to improve over the next four to six years.
By using individual vineyard blocks of specific clonal selections we highlight Tempranillo's inherent red, blue and black fruit with tobacco, pepper, and spice hints.
For years we, Earl and Hilda Jones, have pursued our passion for fine Spanish wine made from the Tempranillo grape. Our goal is to produce fine wine from that grape in America.
Thus, the "Abacela" idea was to find in America a similar climate to that of the finest Tempranillo growing areas in Spain. The "marginal" climate sought was hot enough to ripen the fruit but not so hot that it cooked out the essence of the grape. A climate which provided dry summers and cool but wet winters, relatively free of severe freezes to minimize potential cold injury to the vines.
Searches through tomes of wine books, climate records, and maps led us to the West Coast. The search ended in the Umpqua Valley in Southern Oregon, 11 miles southwest of Roseburg Oregon. Here, the vineyards bask by day in the hot summer sun and are cooled at night by Pacific Ocean breezes. The long growing season allows the fruit to ripen slowly and fully. Our Abacela idea, now a working winery, was christened Abacela, utilizing an old Castilian word that means "to plant grapevines."
View all Abacela Wines
The Umpqua Valley is much smaller than its northern neighbor, the Willamette Valley. Not necessarily in size, but in wine production. Like the Willamette Valley, the region lies between the Coast Range and the Cascade Range. The Umpqua Valley is a little bit drier than the Willamette, but less dry than the Rogue Valley.
The soil is diverse and the grapes best suited to it include Riesling, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Some winemakers are experimenting with other varieties like Cabernet Sauvignon and other Bordeaux varieties.
Oregon has long been an agricultural state, producing everything from hazelnuts to cattle. The Willamette Valley in particular is a fertile basin for all sorts of produce. Not quite pegged as a wine state, in 1965, a UC Davis graduate named David Lett decided that the Willamette's climate mirrored that of Burgundy in France. With that in mind, he decided to plant some Pinot Noir clones to see how they did. And a good gamble it was. The Willamette is now one of the only regions in the world to focus solely on Pinot Noir as its red variety. Also known for Chardonnay and Pinot Gris. The southern part of Oregon has been slower in delving into the world wine market, but has been making excellent strides with their Rhone style varietals, like Syrah and Grenache. There are also coastal regions producing promising wines.
Most wine ranges from 10-16% alcohol by volume. Some varietals tend to have higher (for example Zinfandel and Cabernet Sauvignon) or lower alcohol levels (Pinot Noir and many white varietals), but there is always some variation from producer to producer. Some wine falls outside of this range, for instance Port weighs in closer to 20%, while Muscat and Riesling are usually a bit below 10%.
Wine Style Guide
Light & Fruity
Red wines that are more fruit-forward and lighter in tannin and body.
Smooth & Supple
Medium bodied reds that go down easy, with smooth tannins and supple fruit.
Earthy & Spicy
Wines where earthy and/or spicy dominate the flavors – typically medium to full body.
Big & Bold
Full bodied wines that have concentrated fruit and are higher in alcohol and/or tannins. Some need age.