Pommard is a very old village, and stands on the site of an early Christian temple, built by the Gauls and dedicated to Pomona, the goddess entrusted with the protection of fruits. By the year 1005, the village name had become "Polmarium" or "Polmarca," and underwent several subsequent changes in name before becoming "Pommard." During the Middle Ages, Pommard grew to be an important way-station for travellers passing between Beaune and Chagny, providing the only crossing point for miles along the Serein River before construction of the first bridge in 1670. This slender ford was marked by a cross, called the "Croix de Pommard", which was little help to travellers frequently washed away by the often violent river. The fact that Pommard is perhaps the most widely-known place-name in Burgundy is, curiously, due to the Huguenots. Banished after the Edict of Nantes, they chose to take with them this sturdy, long-lived wine, which they continued to import to each of their adopted countries.
The Clos de la Commaraine lies in the very center of Pommard, above and directly outside the village of Pommard at the mid-point of the slope. The vineyard covers 9.25 acres enclosed within a vine-covered stone wall. The slope is exposed due east and is characterized by deep, well-drained soils containing many pebbles. Part of an underground spring runs through the subsoil. The vines range in age from 15 to 45 years. As of the 2000 vintage, Maison Louis Jadot acquired exclusive production rights to this monopole, vinifying the wine traditionally in open fermenters over the period of roughly twelve days. The resulting wine is full and firmly tannic, generous rather than elegant. The ripe red berry nose is offset with leather and earth notes carrying onto a dense, mouthfilling palate and long finish.