Dashe Todd Brothers Ranch Zinfandel 2006
Zinfandel from Sonoma County, California
The wine was aged for 12 months in 18% new French oak and the remaining 82% in older oak barrels. Every three months we racked the wine out of barrel to clarify the wine and aid in its development. Although we added just a bit of Petite Syrah from the vineyard when "topping" the barrels, we decided the wine was perfect as it was when we were having our blending trials. Therefore, no additional lots were blended in, resulting in a wine that was 100% from the Todd Brothers Ranch, and 99% Zinfandel. We feel this wine should easily improve with ten or more years of bottle age.
Purple-black. Intense black current, blackberry, chocolate, anise, and roasted coffee.
Lush and balanced, with complex flavors of blackberry, black raspberry and cassis fruit, followed by chocolate, coffee, and clove spice. Sweet, intense, complex finish.
Wine & Spirits - "There's bracing tension in this serious young zin, layers of black raspberry, licorice and red apple intensity that lasts for minutes after each sip. The texture is generous and broad, the brisk fruit feels lovely. A great vintage from these 50-year-old vines."
The Wine News - "Youthful purple hue. Vibrant, forward aromas of cherry, clove, glove leather and anise. Ripe kirsch and chocolate flavors with well-integrated tannins. Full, expressive finish packed with cherry fruit and a lingering, peppery nuance."
In 1996, the husband and wife winemaking team of Michael and Anne Dashe founded Dashe Cellars. Focused on crafting exceptional single-vineyard wines, Dashe Cellars blends the two winemaker’s combined 40-plus years of experience at such noted wineries as Château Lafite-Rothschild, Château La Dominique, Ridge Vineyards, Cloudy Bay, Far Niente, Chappellet, and Schramsberg Wine Cellars. Drawing on this wealth of experience, the Dashes create vineyard-focused wines that capture the complexity and character of top vineyards throughout Sonoma County and beyond. View all Dashe Wines
About Sonoma CountyView a map of Sonoma County wineriesRelated Links:
Twice as large as Napa in size, Sonoma County only makes about a half the amount of wine as her northeasterly neighbor. But Sonoma, with her size, is able to vouch for more diversity within her borders, including sub-AVAs that are climatically varied. The atmosphere of Sonoma is decidedly laid back and down home country style. But in wines, they are keeping up with the Joneses, or Napa-ites if you will. Grape varieties are more varied here, from Pinot Noir and Zinfandel to Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay.
Notable FactsThe largest sub-AVAs of Sonoma include Dry Creek Valley, Russian River Valley, Alexander Valley and Sonoma Valley. Each sub-AVA, with its own micro-climate, is unique in its grape varieties and styles of wine. Dry Creek makes a mean Zinfandel while Russian River produces stand up Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. The Alexander Valley makes some of the better Cabernet Sauvignons in the county and Sonoma Valley creates excellent wines from all the above varieties. Other grapes found throughout Sonoma include Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot and Syrah.
About CaliforniaIt's not rare to see a wine's country of origin listed as "California." A country into itself in the wine world, California makes enough varieties and styles to match many European wine countries. It produces a diverse range of wines that span the quality spectrum.
The most famous of the California wine regions is Napa Valley, and these wines are certainly outstanding – but it's not as broad and diverse as its larger neighbor, Sonoma County. Down south, Santa Barbara's Santa Maria Valley is well-known for its Rhône blends, as well as cool-climate varieties like Pinot and Chardonnay. The Central Coast, the largest California AVA, has many different microclimates that lead to a wide range of wines with many sub-AVAs.
Customer ReviewsSign In to Add Your Review0 }div>
Alcohol By Volume GuideMost wine ranges from 10-16% alcohol by volume. Some varietals tend to have higher (for example Zinfandel and Cabernet Sauvignon) or lower alcohol levels (Pinot Noir and many white varietals), but there is always some variation from producer to producer. Some wine falls outside of this range, for instance Port weighs in closer to 20%, while Muscat and Riesling are usually a bit below 10%.
Wine Style Guide
Light & Crisp
- Light to medium bodied wines that are high in acid and light to medium fruit. Typically no oak.
Fruity & Smooth
- Light to medium bodied wines with lots of juicy fruit, typically medium acid and medium oak.
Rich & Creamy
- Full bodied wines that have typically undergone malo-lactic fermentation and/or spent time in oak.