Dashe Todd Brothers Ranch Zinfandel 2004

Zinfandel from Sonoma County, California

Item No. 91306
  • red wine
  • W&S94
Ratings Pedigree:
  • 2000
  • WE92
  • 1999
  • RP90
  • WE90
show more

Winemaker's Notes

This steep red rock slope just a few miles north of downtown Geyserville produces one of Dashe's most complex and distinctive single-vineyard Zinfandels. These thick, gnarly, old-vine Zinfandel vines were planted by two brothers 48 years ago — the original Todd brothers — and are now farmed by Ken and Tim Todd, along with their sons, making a three-generation long farming tradition. From their first sight of these vines — and the bright red soil in which the vines are planted - they knew that this vineyard would create a wine unlike any other. The 2004 vintage was unusual in that the spring rains affected the flowering of the vines, resulting in a crop about half of its normal size (about two tons to the acre).

This lower yield resulted in a very dense, complex wine with the characteristic floral aroma that is typical of the vineyard. This is one of Dashe's most instantly appealing Todd Brothers Ranch Zinfandels, with an aroma that immediately promises great wine and a velvety, mouthcoating texture that is both sensuous and long-lasting.

"...it maintains a core of freshness so that the ripeness of the old-vine fruit goes to velvet rather than jam. It's zesty, sappy and tense, the power of the woodland blackberry fruit making a lasting impression..."
-Wine & Spirits

Learn About Dashe Map ItMap It

In 1996, the husband and wife winemaking team of Michael and Anne Dashe founded Dashe Cellars. Focused on crafting exceptional single-vineyard wines, Dashe Cellars blends the two winemaker’s combined 40-plus years of experience at such noted wineries as Château Lafite-Rothschild, Château La Dominique, Ridge Vineyards, Cloudy Bay, Far Niente, Chappellet, and Schramsberg Wine Cellars. Drawing on this wealth of experience, the Dashes create vineyard-focused wines that capture the complexity and character of top vineyards throughout Sonoma County and beyond.

Learn About Sonoma County

Twice as large as Napa in size, Sonoma County only makes about a half the amount of wine as her northeasterly neighbor. But Sonoma, with her size, is able to vouch for more diversity within her borders, including sub-AVAs that are climatically varied. The atmosphere of Sonoma is decidedly laid back and down home country style. But in wines, they are keeping up with the...

Read More About Sonoma County

Learn About Zinfandel

Zinfandel(ZIN-fahn-dell) American Grape Zinfandel the American - or Californian - grape. Although it's not from America (Croatia has been named its origin), it does seem quite at home in the vineyards of California. During Prohibition, many Zinfandel vines survived as the high-yielding grape was popular both for home winemaking and communion wine, which is...

Read More About Zinfandel

Related Products
Winemaker's Notes The wine was aged for 12 months in 18% new French oak and the remaining 82% in older ...
Winemaker's Notes Blend: 99% Zinfandel, 1% Petite Sirah Color: Purple black Aroma: Intense blackberry, cassis, and chocolate, followed by subtle ...
Winemaker's Notes Color: Black/Reddish Purple Aroma: Intense rose and jasmine, black raspberry, chocolate, vanilla, clove, and sweet cassis Taste: Very ...
Please login or create an account to create a wine list.
New Arrival Alert
Also sign me up for Wine.com emails featuring deals, trends and new arrivals
Your alert has been added!

Remember, you can go to my account > my alerts to view/edit your alerts at any time (or click here if you want to see them now!)

Membership Benefits

  • • Unlimited FREE ground shipping.
  • • Fast & convenient delivery to your door.
  • • Shop with confidence, satisfaction guaranteed.

Ship on us for a month!

Start My Free Trial

After your free trial, StewardShip is just $49/year.

*Some exclusions apply

close popup