Allegrini Palazzo della Torre 2001
from Veneto, Italy
One of Wine Spectator's Top 100 of 2005!
"Densely packed on the nose, with currants, flowers, mineral and oak. Medium- to full-bodied, with spicy dried fruit flavors, firm tannins and a long, minerally finish."
- Wine Spectator
This blend of 70% Corvina Veronese, 25% Rondinella and 5% Sangiovese is a smooth, full-bodied cru made in an innovative ripasso style. 70% of the grapes picked are vinified immediately. The remaining 30% are left to dry until the end of December when they are vinified and re-fermented with the wine from the fresh grapes. The result is higher alcohol content, rounder style, lower acidity and more extraction than a Valpolicella Classico.
The top 3 most liked reviews for this wine.
A Customer - New Jersey
This wine is best when decanted for at least an hr before drinking. Full body hold up well with red meat and ALL Italian dishes. My favorite is with Linguini Putanesca. One of the absolute best Italian wines you will ever drink in the $20 price range. Bon appetito
A Customer - San Francisco
Very nice, smooth wine... Great nose, mellow finish - will go with any red sauce meal, or even all by its lonesome...
A Customer - North Carolina
I was at first a little overwhelmed by this dense wine until I let it breathe and then enjoyed it with pasta and red sauce. Excellent! It needed the compliment of flavor from the food. It is rare to find something this full bodied for this price in your average market.
User Wine Lists
The top 3 most viewed lists that include this wine.
Create a list
and share your favorite wines with other customers.
Good wines under 20 (in 2006)
- 10/14/2010 (14 items) (viewed 4354 times)